John MacArthur has posted a nice article on Pulpit Magazine about the following scripture, discussing how we should NOT provoke our children to anger. I’ve created a shortened list (HT: Challies)
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- Pushing for unreasonable achievement
- Discouragement / lack of encouragement
- Failing to sacrifice for children, making them feel unwanted or in the way
- Expecting maturity beyond their age
- Using love as a tool of reward and/or punishment
- Physical and verbal abuse