I found So You Want to Be an Apologist, a good post giving advice for wannabe defenders of the faith. James Holding gives the following excellent advice, with short descriptions.
- Be a master of a few trades and not a jack of all trades.
- Acquire patience and prudence.
- Don’t worry about not having answers to everything — and not having them right away.
- Read the works of the opposition. Don’t shun the works of those who may ideologically disagree with.
- Read as broadly as you can so that you can "cross fertilize" ideas.
- Feel free to leave other issues to those who are "expert" — and try to consult with them if possible.
He also gives advice for those who really want to make a profession of it:
- Making it a professional venture means risk and investment.
- Find a church that will support your mission.
- Get credentialed.