Some suffering can be avoided if we change how we think and act, especially when we are at fault. But some suffering comes from doing good, or from just the difficulty of life. That suffering must be endured, and with a perspective that gives hope and leads to strength and maturity.
Here’s the sermon, with outline below.
To download Willing to Suffer for Doing Good, please subscribe to our podcast feed.
1. We have an inheritance
- 1 Peter 1:4 – we have a priceless inheritanceâ€”an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you
- 1 Peter 1:6 – So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while.
2. The 5 Spheres of Government
Spheres of Government
Husbands, wives, fathers, children
Pastors, elders, young men & women, older men & women
|Commerce / Work|
Slaves, servants, masters
1 Peter 4:1-3 (NKJV)
- Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
- that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
- For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentilesâ€”when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.
B. Be Willing to
1. The inner struggle is against
- Lust of the flesh ( )
- Lust of the eyes ( )
- Pride of life ( , , )
- 1 John 2:16
2. The Inner Struggle in Scripture
- Jesus Knew the Inner Struggle (Hebrews 4:15)
- We should not worry about earthly things as much as seeking God’s will for us first (Matthew 6:31-33)
- A WARNING from James 4:1-4: â€œWhoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.â€œ
SIDEBAR: Is God’s will FUN?
Give Up Gain Drunkenness and â€˜wild parties’ â€œTipsy OK, drunk no wayâ€[God has given] wine that makes glad the heart of man ~ Ps 104:15 Sex without limits Sex within the safety of marriage,minimized fear of disease, unwanted pregnancy, breakups Only this life, no hope beyond Promises and hopes of life to come Personal meaning and worth through accomplishment Meaning and worth through being loved by God
3. The outer struggle is against
- We may get resistance from our own and (Matthew 10:36)
1 Peter 4:1-3 (NLT)
- So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin.
- You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God.
- You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy