For many, the life of faith is a life of burdensome works to earn or keep salvation.
That is totally backwards. Listen and understand why. Outline below.
To download Stop Working for God, please subscribe to our podcast feed.
0. Review of Romans
a. Greeting (1:1-15)
b. Gospel Summary (1:16-17)
c. Exposing our common guilt (1:19-3:20)
- Gentiles – nature and conscience
- Moralizers – not as good as they think
- ALL together
d. The Good News (3:21-26)
1. Why Abe?
- Abraham is the of
- Salvation by faith is not a
2. Salvation: Not by
Romans 4:4-5 (ESV)
Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.
But to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness.
SIDEBAR: Faith and Works – Objections
- What motivation will people have to DO GOOD?
- If Hitler repented on his deathbed, would God then forgive him without works?
- Why not wait until the last minute?
3. Do we have to do ANYHING other than BELIEVE to be saved from “the wrath to come”?
- Good works?
- Belong to a group?
- Obey religious rules?
4. Entering God’s (Hebrews 3-4)
Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
~ Philippians 1:6 (NKJ)
- Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42)
5. Real faith good works (James 2:14-24)
You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves a person who gives cheerfully. ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NLT)
6. Not by or
- Romans 4:9-12
- Colossians 2:11-12
- Romans 6:4-6
7. Not by
- Romans 4:13-17
Don’t just do something, SIT there. And rest.