I recently rediscovered a lecture by Brian Mclaren onÂ The Four Historic Models for Church/State Interaction, and realized that (a) they needed one word formal labels, and (b) there is one more. So here they are people.
- Theocracy – Religious power is supreme and eclipses government (Islam)
- Establishmentism – Official state church (England)
- Pietism – The church retreats from the public policy sphere (German Lutherans)
- Prophetic – The church and state are independent, but the Church takes the role of providing prophetic ethical support in public policy under a secular and/or non-hostile government (United States).
- Persecuted – State power is used to suppress faith (Communism). The Church can still be prophetic under tyranny